Don't Make Change too Complicated: Just Begin!




Wednesday, October 14, 2009

October is Breast Cancer Month

Yesterday I went to the Quilt Bug in Rio Rancho. I brought with me a quilt that my mother had begun to make. (The below pic is not the quilt...that can be another post! ) My mom was a nationally known quiltmaker and quilt judge through the National Quilters Society. The quilt I brought in is one of many that I "inherited" that were left unfinished upon her passing.

My mom was a cancer survivor until her sudden passing. She fought 4 different cancers, including breast, for over 17 years. Throughout that time, she kept a very positive attitude and refused to believe the cancer would get the best of her. She , with the help of my dad, got the best medical care and her oncologist, Dr. Papalla, was her Dr. for all those years. She became like family to him and his family as he did in ours. He used my mom and her positive attitude to talk to many of his other patients to help them deal with their diagnosis of cancer and to help them to know that attitude and how you handle the diagnosis and ensueing trials is most of the battle. So, here I am in the quilt shop...flowy silk painter..... vroom vroom vroom cyclist.... who likes to be loose and free...contemplating tight lines and points and little stitches and just about getting a rash from thinking about it...telling the ladies I hate to sew and yes, I have a machine, but I forgot how to thread it! They put their hands on their hips and shook their heads! No they did not! This is an exaggeration...they were really very sweet and understanding as I told them this was one of many more to come. They loved the quilt and told me I was carrying out her legacy. They will help me and teach me and give me some discipline and I may even quilt my own quilt because I fell in love with a beautiful Asian quilt that I would certainly like to create! So, who knows?

Anyway, I am writing to you today to once again say, If you are a woman and have not gotten your mammo and annual exam done yet, turn off the computer and go make your appointments. Then KEEP your appointments. Suck it up and just do it. We all hate this. It is uncomfortable and we do not like people looking at our private things...but JUST DO IT> You could be saving your own life!

Here is a bit more information :

Here are 5 simple ways to celebrate Breast Cancer Awareness Month (NBCAM) in your own life courtesy of NBCAM:

Know your Risks: The risk of developing breast cancer is not the same for all women. Age is the single most important risk factor, although personal and family history, genetics, reproductive and menstrual history, weight , level of physical activity and alcohol consumption are also factors. Talk to your doctor about your risk factors.

Practice Healthy Habits: Women can reduce their risk if they eat healthy and exercise regularly. Begin making small changes in these areas and over time you will develop healthy habits.

Schedule your annual mammo and pap...yes, I know, I already said this! LOL But it is SOOOO .....important I will say it again!

Know there is hope: Thanks to early detection and treatment, more and more women are surviving breast Cancer....see above annual mammo and pap : )

Educate yourself: Empower yourself by learning as much about breast cancer as you can. http://www.nbcam.org/ is a year round resource that is available to you.

Another great resources is the American Cancer Society http://www.cancer.org/

If you are in Albuquerque, the American Cancer Society is a great resource in 2 locations:

10501 Montgomery NE at 260-2105

and at 900 Camino de Salud NE at 272-0228.

OR, you can go to the Lance Armstrong Foundation at http://www.livestrong.org/ for assistance and support!

Cece

No comments:

Post a Comment