Don't Make Change too Complicated: Just Begin!




Saturday, January 4, 2014

An Ellie the Shark Guest Post!


The Santa Fe Snowshoe Un-race.

Some of my closest acquaintances say that I am competitive(Cece sing....,oh yes they do!). They have mentioned that I seem to enjoy playing the role of the shark. I lay in wait, lingering behind and then swim in for the kill. I feel that is a bit overstated, but that is what I have heard.(Cece adds," That is what we experience!")

This morning as I stood at the starting line with my dear friend Andrea, I experienced the usual pre-race anxiety. I saw participants in serious snowshoeing gear with long, lean bodies and my ego began to quake. Some participants I knew from the sport of triathlon and even though I am a bit competitive, I know my place and respect the ladies that are at the top of the sport in NM. They are courteous and supportive each and every time I come across them in a race and they were present for this event. 

But for this race - for the first time - I was not concerned about whom I was going to overtake. I was not focused on my pace. I did not have my Garmin or take notice of the time it took for me to tromp through the pristine woods for 3.8 miles. I ran when I wanted and walked when I felt like it. I stopped and mapped in the New Year’s beginnings and left last year’s trials and heartbreak in the melting ice. I felt enormous gratitude for my friends and family who did not abandon me and finally let ties of the past free. I sang aloud when the mood hit me and did not allow a negative thought to enter my heart.

I did not place in my age group but I came away with so much more. I am happy.
Ellie the Shark

1 comment:

  1. I remember Ellie the Shark before she was knows as Ellie the Shark. I remember how I made the observation "this lady has talent, this lady has ability, this lady is gonna grow and grow and grow". And, wow, she has grown and grown and grown.....and, not meaning to sound like a dirty old man, just making an observation. She has become more and more beautiful each year of the past few I have known her. Yes, she is one beautiful woman. Yes, she is.

    ReplyDelete